Photo accessed here.
What is a “battle”? According to the dictionary, it is defined as a ‘prolonged fight between organized armed forces; a long and difficult struggle’.
As people of God’s Kingdom, we were created for this purpose: to fight in a battle. However, common sense tells us that we cannot engage in such warfare without being prepared; one must be properly attired before stepping on the battle field.
Please turn in your Bibles to Ephesians 6:10-18. In this passage, God is speaking clearly to us about the pressing importance of preparing and equipping ourselves to engage in this warfare. It is imperative to our survival that we know and understand the tactics Satan uses to destroy and devour us. To be ignorant of his schemes and attacks is to give him a winning advantage over our lives, health, home, finances, marriage, ministries, government, and businesses.
When we are finished speaking here today, you will walk away understanding and knowing what spiritual warfare is as well as how and when to use the tools we have available to us as children of God.
The battle is not ours.
Simply put, the battle is not for us to fight, but the Lord’s (vv. 10-14). However, there are still specific guidelines we should take caution to follow. For example, it is essential that we are obedient to the Holy Spirit and listen to His voice.
A Christian’s prayer armor.
According to the Apostle Paul, we are to put on the ‘whole armor of God’ in order to stand against the forces of hell that attack us. It is clearly laid out below:
- Gird your waist with the belt of truth (v. 14).
- Put on the breastplate of righteousness (v. 14b).
- Shod your feet with the Gospel of peace (v. 15).
- Take up the shield of faith (v. 16).
- Put on the helmet of salvation (v. 17).
- Wield the sword of the spirit (v. 17b).
- Pray in the Spirit at all times (v. 18a).
I have been in Christendom long enough to know that there is no other way around this, either our own way or the devil’s way. Some people are drawn to this point without any understanding. However, it is a daily preparation. For example, every day we get dressed before leaving the house. No one who is of a sound mind would leave their home without being dressed!
So why do we step onto the battlefield in the midst of fierce spiritual warfare without the appropriate attire of a Christian?!
It is no wonder why we lose the battle so often!
Know who you are and what you are about.
You are an ambassador for Christ Jesus. Not a headless chicken running around without purpose or plan. Do not settle for anything less – be spiritually acute and learn to know the difference between the counterfeit and the real thing. After all, if you do not know what the real thing is, you may end up repeatedly settling for counterfeit things.
Be an Executive in the Kingdom of God. An Executive person knows who he or she is. The Executive personality has the potential and power to put plans, policies, and laws into effect. May we also be an Executive for the Kingdom of God.
Getting back to God’s basic instructions for us.
Please turn in your Bibles to 1 Samuel 17:1-11. In this passage, Saul and the entire army of Israel had completely lost their will to fight. Why? Because Goliath harassed them until they were physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually impotent.
They were harassed to the point of cowering in places of shelter, simply waiting for Goliath and the Philistine army to devour them.
Let us follow David’s example, as given in this passage, in addressing the attack the Israelites were under.
“Who is this uncircumcised Philistine?!”
The devil will harass you until you have lost your will to fight the good fight of faith. He will not let up until one of two things happen. First, he will break your will to fight any further. Or, you pick up the sword of the spirit and use it to make the devil obey.
Using the sword of the spirit.
How do we use the sword of the spirit?
Let us get back to the basics and use the tools God has provided us with in the Word of God.
Be very mindful at all times that we are in a battle. Always remember that the devil is the master of counterfeit things. He is always showing up with something “better” than what God has provided us with.
Please note, you may find yourself in a spiritual battle lacking spiritual fortitude, which is manifested in ways such as: little to no Bible study, significant decrease in prayer life, no confession of the Word of God, and limited fellowship with strong believers. Should this be the case, the powers of darkness have broken your will to fight.
Remain vigilant and sober minded at all times, remembering that we are in a battle. But, we are not fighting the battle; God is. Do not be afraid, only stand still. Stand and see what Yahweh Tsebaoth (LORD God of Armies) will accomplish on behalf of His people. He is a God of War, an all-consuming fire. The enemy knows this and as such, he is terrified (Hebrews 10:31 and Luke 12:5).
Seeing past the visible into the invisible.
Please turn in your Bibles to 2 Kings 6:8-17. To believe the impossible and increase our faith in God, one must first ‘see the invisible’. This passage in Scripture involves war between Israel and Syria. The prophet Elisha informed his people of the enemy’s tactics through prophetic insights (v. 12).
- Prayer is the key to discerning the adversary’s stratagems. They key to dispelling Elisha’s servant’s panic was vision/eyes being open to see the invisible. Note these crucial words Elisha prayed. He did not ask God simply to show the servant another miracle. He asked for his servant to see into another dimension.
- The answer came immediately. The Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire (v. 17).
- Seeing into the invisible is the key to victorious praying is discerning spiritual issues from God’s perspective rather than mans.
- Seeing the adversary’s attack plan, and perceiving God’s angelic strike-force (Ephesians 6: 10-18 and Jeremiah 33:3).
- In reading Ephesians 6:12, we do not wrestle against flesh and blood. The devil is the father of lies. He is cunning deceiving and a twister. His main intention is to paralyze the Church by turning us against each other. We are to be praying earnestly for the Church in general so that our eyes will be opened to see in another dimension when the enemy is busy internalizing things. We also need to know who the real enemy is and what we are fighting against. According to Gills Triplett’s “Satan Wartime Manual” number from 1-10.
I will take you a little into Satan’s war room. Here you will find his strategies and tactical war planning manual. Also, you will know all of these strategies and tactics and when I am done reading you will know his plans of attack from A-Z. He will never gain the advantage over you again.
- Break their will to fight
- Wear down saints and the enemy will control them
- Divide and conquer
- Never press a child of God too hard (Exodus 14, 2 Chronicle 20)
- Shock and Awe
- We will impose our will upon the Church
- Turn them away from God by changing the law
- The Trojan Horse tactics
- Rush in and crush
- Find out their weakness and exploit it
Last but not least, Ephesians 6:18 reads “all prayer is literally every order of praying, the specific method by which spiritual warfare is carried on. Prayer includes supplication in the spirit.” This is where the Holy Spirit-assisted prayer is taught and directed (1 Corinthians 14:14). Paul clearly shows that such praying may include prayer in a different tongue not known to the person praying. Thus, prayer is not so much a weapon or even a part of the armor, as it is the means by which we engage in the battle itself and purpose for which we are armored.
To put on the armor of God is to prepare for the battle.
- Prayer is the battle itself with God’s word being our chief weapon employed against Satan during our struggle.
- I Am Under Attack-help Me ??? What Next??? (coyfeetalksitup.wordpress.com)
- Spiritual Warfare and Libertarianism (seismicmike.wordpress.com)
- Why so downcast O my Soul? Put your hope in God. David’s Rx for the downcast soul. (prepareforthelamb.wordpress.com)
- We are At War, Part 2of2, by Evans Olang (magnifyhisword.wordpress.com)
- Why I Think I’m a Super Hero (deepandwonderfulthoughts.wordpress.com)
- The thought warfare (dailymedit.wordpress.com)
- Take It To The Lord In Prayer, Evans Olang (magnifyhisword.wordpress.com)
- Are you the Bullseye of a Spiritual Attack? (thebrokenvessel.wordpress.com)
- Good v. Evil: What We Must Learn From the CT Shooting (makiahisms.com)
- Is This A Call To Repentance, Or A Call To Prepare? (mukluk.wordpress.com)