Revelation 9:20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk; 9:21 and they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.
How strange that the judgments of God do not bring two-thirds of earth’s population to real repentance. The Lord must allow one-third of humanity to die in His attempt to bring the remaining to repentance.
Certainly God did something similar to Pharaoh and the nation of Egypt during the plagues under Moses’ leadership. But not only do they refuse to repent, it is clear that they continue to seek help from ‘their sorcerers’ rather than turn to the living God. The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 2:4 “Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and long suffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?”
Our heavenly Father’s kindnesses towards us are meant to draw us back to Him by our repenting of our sins. He pours out compassionate acts and circumstances, help and blessings as good gifts from Him to embarrass us in our selfish sinful condition. We do read here about the judgment of God that is coming but it is His grace, His goodness and His mercy that attracts us ultimately.
That is no doubt why we are called to pass it on to others and show kindness to them. The 17th century British pastor and author John Bunyan said: “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” From the other direction Jewish rabbi Abraham Heschel said, “When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.”
If we want to win others to the Lord it is clear that kindness is God’s preferred method.“LORD help us to show Your kindness to others while we can still walk the light of day. May Your power flow through us to reach them for You this day.”
- What is Does it Mean to Repent? (christianitymatters.com)
- Sins to repent from. (revessie.com)
- President Repents, Confesses Sin, Asks Forgiveness (godfatherpolitics.com)
- What is Repentance? (gilreathpreachersonline.com)
- Obama Is The King God Has Given To Reign Over America In The Last Days (lynleahz.com)
- God Never Repents (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Repentance – Sabbath School Presentation (marjzone1.wordpress.com)
- Do you have licence from God to lord over us, Nash? (harismibrahim.wordpress.com)
- To You My Lord (shelleywilliamsblog.com)
- The Gift of Repentance. (greatriversofhope.wordpress.com)